I’ve been trying to incorporate as many salads as possible into our menu, which isn’t that easy in the middle of winter when most vegetables are imported from far away and lack flavor. Although kohlrabi is a summer vegetable, it added a lot of flavor to this quick and easy salad. If you’ve never had kohlrabi before, this is a great way to give it a try. The vegan mayo recipe is the same as the one here.
- Peel and wash the kohlrabi, carrots and apples, and then grate on the largest hole of the grater into a bowl.
- Wash the leek well, chop finely, and add to the rest of the salad.
- Mix in vegan mayo, stir. Sprinkle with some sesame and serve.
Vegan MayoIngredients 360 g (12 oz.) firm tofu freshly squeezed juice from ½ lemon 3 teaspoons cold-pressed linseed oil (or olive oil) 1 tsp. sea salt 1-2 tsp. mustard 3-4 cloves of garlic (crushed) pinch of tandoori masala (I use the mix from TRS) dash of cayenne pepper ½ – 1 cup lukewarm boiled water (enough to achieve the desired consistency) Instructions
- Press tofu to squeeze out excess water. I usually press it wrapped in paper towels between two wooden cutting boards with a pitcher on top.
- Place all ingredients, except the water, in a blender and blend. Add enough water to achieve the desired consistency. (For these salads, I wanted a pretty watery version, so I used 1 cup of water.)