Although spring has officially begun, someone did not get the memo, at least whoever is responsible for the weather here in Białystok. There is still snow on the ground and the temperatures leave much to be desired. On the bright side, the sun has been shining every day this week, the birds are singing like it’s spring, and I’ve even spotted some migratory birds that have returned for the summer. Can you imagine their surprise upon arrival?
Anyway, I’m feeling hopeful and doing everything I can to invoke spring. This raw vegan cheesecake (a.k.a. possibly the best cheesecake ever) will definitely have you imagining flowering fields of lavender and luscious strawberries, laying on the grass looking at the clouds. That’s what I was thinking about while making this decadent dessert. It tastes light like spring while also indulgent (appropriate for the cold spell we’re experiencing here).
I’m posting this now, because maybe you’d want to try this for Easter or whatever holidays are coming up. It is a great dessert for impressing vegan and non-vegan friends/family.
Variation: you can skip the coconut layer, it will still taste delicious.Ingredients Crust 1 cup almonds (soaked, peeled) 10 dates (soaked for 1 hour) Strawberry cheesecake filling 2 cup cashews (soaked) 8 figs 1 cup frozen strawberries (thawed) Juice of 1 blood orange Juice of ½ lemon 1 banana 1 tsp. coconut cream 1 tbsp. coconut oil (melted) 5 tsp. dried lavender flowers Coconut layer 2 bananas 6 tbsp. coconut milk (solid part) ½ cup coconut flakes Some dried lavender flowers and coconut flakes for sprinkling on top
- Soak nuts overnight (about 8 hours). Rinse.
- For the crust: Peel almonds. Blend almonds and dates. Press into lined (aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or wax paper) 9 inch (23 cm) springform cake pan. Place in fridge to cool while you prepare the cheesecake.
- For cheesecake layer: Blend all ingredients together, except 1 tsp. dried lavender flowers. Blend until fairly smooth. This may take a while depending on your blender. I have a low power immersion blender so it takes me a while. Add the remaining whole lavender flowers. Pour onto crust in cake pan and set in fridge.
- For the coconut layer: Blend or whip bananas with coconut milk. Add coconut flakes. Pour onto cheesecake. Let the whole thing set in the fridge for about 2-3 hours.
- Sprinkle with dried lavender flowers and coconuts before serving. Remove from cake pan. Slice and be ready to be transported.